Monday, September 11, 2006

Quieres gallopar? Esta bien asi.... WHOOSH

So, if you don't speak Spanish, that translates as, "Do you want to gallop?" "I'm good like this..." And the WHOOSH is self-explanatory. I spent Sunday morning (9/10) horseback riding and checking out a market outside San Cristobal, in a village called Chamula. The riding itself was a little hair-raising. Our "guide" (who's barely safe from being called a kid) told me I could go gallop if I wanted to once I'd showed him I could trot and post, and I said that I was okay, but he whipped the back of my horse and OFF we were. I really was picturing Christopher Reeves in my head as I was flying with the horse, thinking of how fast we were going and what sort of shape I might be in if I were to fall. I was also thinking about kicking the stirrups out of the way really quickly should I know I was going down, to avoid being dragged... but it ended well, and the views were beautiful.

We rode for about an hour, then spent an hour at the market at Chamula, then rode for an hour back. At the market, Danna had a good scare when she attempted to take a picture of some officials, it didn't work, yet the officials came flying at her telling her they needed to check her camera, photographing officials isn't allowed, etc. We knew photographing people at the market wasn't allowed (long story short, the indigenous people don't like it), but the officials were technically not in the market... As it turned out it was okay, but Danna was pretty shaken up and thought they were going to steal her camera!

No comments: