Sunday, September 24, 2006

El Canon del Sumidero and Chiapa de Corzo

Yesterday (Saturday), Shelly, Danna, Carrie, and I went to Chiapa de Corzo, a small town about 30 minutes from here, to chill out and take a boat in the river Grijalva, which flows through the Canon del Sumidero. Chiapa de Corzo is cute, has a nice plaza, and offers different handicrafts than Tuxtla, but let it suffice to say that I'm glad I live in Tuxtla, where there are actually things to do.
The boat ride itself almost didn't happen, since we didn't have a full boat, and they wanted to charge us the price of a full boat divided among the would-be riders. We vetoed this, and waited an hour to see if more riders would come along, and they did.
I was expecting a slow boat cruise, but as I quickly found out, we were going to zip along in a speedboat, hair in the wind. My lifejacket made a nice cushion and safety net, and the ride was underway. We raced down the river to the start of the canon, and the driver stopped to tell us that the canon (pronounced canyOHN, I don't have the ~ over the N key) was starting...as if we hadn't noticed? We continued along, with the driver slowing down a few times to point out the highest point of the canyon, (1000 meters up, 100m water depth!), some crocodiles, one of the most powerful dams in Mexico, and a point where, if I understood correctly, someone fell on September 13.

1 comment:

DIANA said...

WWaaaaaaa!!!!!! was it an alligator????...waaaa!!!! chapeau...i wish to see one of them, at least one in my life...lucky you!!!...nice pics!!! your life is really exciting...and..about the obnoxious people in Guatemala....fuck them...wait to see Colombia