Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Attention Walmart Shoppers...

If you know me at all lately, you read that headline and thought, "Here comes a blurb about 'The Man'..." Well, I will try not to be too indoctrinating, but a Walmart just opened about a kilometer from me, and I cringe every time I see it. One doesn't have to look far for reasons to be uneasy about the number one...commercial empire? in the world. They are known for low wages, bad benefits, and doing anything to undercut the competition. I was also told of a store (a Sam's Club) that closed near Albany, NY, and employees showed up to work only to be told the same day that the store was closed and they didn't have a job.
I went grocery shopping Sunday and they were playing music and making balloons for kids...basically doing a song and dance circus routine to try to keep their customers who might run to Walmart in hopes of lower prices. They had marked on a ton of their merchandise their price and Walmart's price, to show that theirs was lower. And who can blame them for putting up a fight? Even those who have a choice won't usually choose to pay more on purpose. But sometimes one has to think of what's behind the low prices, which is usually little guys like those saving money who really pay.

No comments: