Monday, December 04, 2006

November words

I'd like to take a moment to note some of my better Spanish mistakes, which usually occur when two words ressemble each other and yet have little or nothing in common when it comes to meaning.
1. I spent weeks telling people I was from the edad (age) of New York instead of the estado (state).
2. palo/pavo (stick instead of turkey)
3. "un partido del cuerpo del hombre" instead of "un parte del cuerpo del hombre" ("It's a game with a man's body" instead of "It's a part of a man's body")
4. During the first week of school when English failed, I told my students to "Dejen" in their seats instead of "Queden". The first means "leave/let" and the second means "stay". You can imagine the confusion.
5. juego de naranja instead of jugo de naranja... the first means "orange game" and the second, "orange juice".
6. I once confused "piedra" and "pierna", or "stone" and "leg". I was told to get off at a rock, and I said, "So I tell the driver to let me off at the leg?" Yes.
More to come, I'm sure.

Instead of daily words I'm switching to monthly words... that way when I remember more than one in a day and none in another, I don't feel like I'm fudging the data :-p
lapicera: yet another word for a pen (add that to pluma, boligrafo, etc.)
barro: pimple
cachando: horny (sorry if this offends you, but hey, it was a word I didn't know)
caladera: drain
se le cierro: he cut me off
Noruega y Suecia: Norway and Sweden
la tarima: stage
asferas (sp?): ornaments (on the Christmas tree)
reganar: to scold, break up with, tell off, quarrel with
exito: hit/success
Estar asi del precipicio: to be at the end of one's rope/thisclose to losing it
tener ganas ~ avoir envie (I lack a concise English translation, but it's kind of like "to want")
meter la pata: to screw up
fogata: bonfire
palo: stick
pavo: turkey
trapeador: mop
trensas/trensitas: braids
escoba: broom
varicella: chicken pox
apollitas: chickenpox (perhaps colloquial, or the name for the individual spots)
mora: raspberry
tocino: bacon
muneca: doll, or wrist
pastor: shepherd, type of pork preparation, or a cane

No comments: