Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Rules?

Me: Can I take a picture? It's illegal to drink in a car in the States, even if you're not the driver.
Fernando: Oh, it's illegal here, too.
Hence, the accompanying photo. It's technically "illegal" to speed, litter, run traffic lights and stop signs, put up one's own speed bumps in one's small town, etc. etc. etc. and these things almost always, if not always, go unpunished.
And yet we run a palpable risk of being fined for putting our trash out before 8pm on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Riddle me that...

I had a fun weekend in Puerto Arista, the beach locale about 3 hours from Tuxtla. I become antisocial at the beach and morph into some sort of hydrophile fish-mermaid creature person.

Speaking of creatures (okay, that was a really weak segue), I have somehow become brave when it comes to creatures! I guess I have no choice, as my Dad lives thousands of kilometers away and can't come take bugs, spiders, etc., out of my living space. I have been okay with the cockroaches and salamander/newt/lizard guys at my house, and last weekend in Palenque I apparently slept in the midst of scorpions, but I fully realized how much I've come into my own in terms of creature handling when my friends approached me with a baby tarantula (or other hairy-legged relative thereof) they'd caught in the house, and I didn't freak AND still slept in that house! I've posted a picture of my new friend.

No comments: