Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Spanish words, and today's news

Before I post my recent new Spanish words, I would just like you to know what happened as I was sitting at the table at the staff meeting this morning at 7:30am. In my half-asleep-before-1oam state, I felt something crawling on my leg and somehow knew immediately what it was: COCKROACH!! I hate cucarachas. Becoming their playground was not in my contract...

And if I didn't already mention it, I was stung by jellyfish and confronted by a scorpion last weekend at the beach. I'm thinking after all my creature encounters this year, I could sit on a crocodile tomorrow and not bat an eye. But I don't plan on testing that.

New Spanish words:
chinga, chinga: a vulgar, not classy way to affirmatively respond
asuetos: days off/free day
sasco: gross
lloriquear: to whine
aniquilar(se): to annihilate
ceniza: Lent
empuesta: survey/poll
cotorrear: hang out/joke around? (help!)
coincidir (sp?): to coincide, have time free at the same time as someone else, etc.
sobredosis: overdose
orientador: counselor
ataud: coffin
huelga: strike (ex: a labor strike)
Crees en el amor a primera vista o vuelvo a pasar?
pecoro/a: sinner
cangrejo: crab
frasco: small bottle, flask
roble: oak tree
mecedora (sp?): rocking chair
tenue: blurry/fuzzy (like in images)

No comments: