Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Ding at the Domino's


I was riding a combi (or colectivo, the busses/vans of death that serve as public transportation) home today with my Principal (no, this is not scary) and I kept looking out the window for my stop, and told her, "Gotta ding at the Domino's". To which she replied, "That'd make a great title for an email home." Since I am no longer doing the big emails home, I've made it a blog title. And yes, I ding at the Domino's to signal my stop on my ride home; if I dinged at the closer Pizza Hut, my driver/grim reaper would whiz past my street by about 4-6 blocks. I have no right to complain about walking one stop further, though; colectivos cost 4 pesos (about 40 cents) for as far as you want to ride in one direction on one colectivo.
Speaking of Colectivos, or combis, one of my colleagues, Glenn, has postulated the following. Becoming a colectivo driver has one prerequisite: the would-be driver must have a death wish. I have NEVER seen a female combi driver. Not sure why. Maybe women are too smart to want to spend hours a day in an endless near-death experience? In addition to having a death wish, my colleague hypothesized, the test to become a combi driver must including having to take down at least 2 pedestrians. I'd like to add that coming a centimeter within hitting the bumper between you and then miraculously stopping in time not to hit it must be on the exam, too. Below is a picture I TRIED to take of a colectivo, but they drive so d**n fast that it's a wonder I got the rear end. And,here's to hoping never to end up like the second combi pictured here (taken from the net, not by me). The picture above, I stole from Glenn (a colleague) because I'm just not fast enough with my camera. But he got three in one shot!

No comments: