Tuesday, August 15, 2006

San Cristobal
















About an hour from here by "bus" (translation: 15 passenger van), for 35 pesos (about $3.00) one way, lies San Cristobal. Once a colonial city and the capital of Chiapas until the late 1800s, San Cristobal de las Casas is a beautiful day trip away from Tuxtla. I visited it on Saturday, and the first thing I noticed on the way was the difference in altitude. To reach San Cristobal from Tuxtla, one climbs 1000-1500 meters (I've forgotten the exact figure), and my ears, which popped on the way up, can attest to the fact that the difference is noticeable. I enjoyed wandering the markets, parks, and streets of the town, as well as eating at a wonderful all-natural restaurant tucked away on a quiet road away from the tourist path. Their bread is delicious, and you can buy a small loaf for 10 pesos (about a dollar) or a large one for about 20 pesos.

No comments: